CALL FOR TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MOLECULAR GENETICS AND MICROBIOLOGY
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level. This full-time position will be affiliated to the Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Faculty of Biological Sciences. The selected individual should demonstrate capacity to lead an independent research line as well as potential to teach biology at the highest standards. We wish to specially invite female scientists to apply for this position.
Full time Assistant professor position with Molecular Genetics or Microbiology background, affiliated to the Molecular Genetics and Microbiology Department at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, PUC.
DESCRIPTION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MOLECULAR GENETICS AND MICROBIOLOGY
The Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology (DGMM) includes 16 full time faculty that teach at the undergraduate (Biochemistry, Biology and Marine Biology) and graduate levels (Biological Sciences and Plant Biotechnology PhD programs).
In terms of research, the DGMM has defined five research programs: Bioinformatics and Big Data; Plant Biology; Molecular Genetics, Systems Biology and Synthetic Biology; Immunology and Microbial Pathogenicity; Environmental Microbiology.
Interdisciplinary research is a major priority at DGMM with an impact in microbial biodiversity, agriculture and biomedicine.
This call has no specific research focus but applicants should ascribe or be complementary to the existing DGMM research programs listed above. We will prioritize applicants that can demonstrate potential to develop cutting-edge research projects that synergize with one or more of these research programs.
CORE FACILITIES AVAILABLE AT THE FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Faculty of Biological Sciences has core facilities that provide infrastructure and equipment to help research for all their members. Current facilities include: Animal Facility, Plant Facility, Advanced Microscopy, Flow Cytometry, Sequencing and Omics Technologies, Biogeochemistry and Bioinformatics and Computational Biology.
The selected applicant should:
1. Develop an independent research program, and lead cutting-edge research projects in any of the five research programs at DGMM with emphasis in molecular or cellular processes at any level of biological organization using experimental or theoretical approaches.
2. Generate interactions with researchers within DGMM, and potentially, from other Departments of the Faculty of Biological Sciences and/or other Faculties within the University.
3. Teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate level and according to the needs of DGMM or the Faculty of Biological Sciences. The selected applicant should attend a mandatory teaching certificate at the Center for Teachers Development UC.
4. Train professionals (e.g. biologists, marine biologists, biochemists) and graduate students
through mentoring research thesis projects at the undergraduate and graduate level respectively.
5. Participate in academic and administrative activities at the University.
6. Perform outreach and extension activities.
Applicants should have a PhD and Postdoctoral experience. At least one of these should be in Molecular Genetics, Microbiology or related area. The applicant should show capacity to carry out an independent research program and obtain competitive, extramural funding. Teaching experience at undergraduate and/or graduate level is desirable.
Availability to start ideally during the second half of 2018.
Academic trajectory and quality of the scientific production of the applicant
Potential for integration into the academic activities of DGMM and the Faculty of Biological Sciences.
TO APPLY, COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FORM AVAILABLE AQUÍ
Deadline for Applications: April 13, 2018 at 17:00.
PROF. XAVIER FIGUEROA
Santiago, January 30, 2018